Cheereleading coaches hired for Jerseyville CUSD
The Jersey Community School District 100 Board of Education met July 21 to approve cheerleading coaching assignments for the upcoming school year.
Here's the meeting's agenda, as provided by the board:
Board of Education Regular Meeting Open Session July 21, 2016
The regular meeting of the Board of Education of Community Unit School District No. 100 was held Thursday, July 21, 2016 in the office of the Board of Education. The regular meeting was called to order at 7:00 P.M. by Ed Test, President. Other board members present were: Stan Kary, Secretary; Terrie Kallal and Peggy Perdun. Board member William Yamnitz arrived at 7:02 P.M. Board members Sherry Droste and Julie Pohlman were absent. Also in attendance were Lori Franke-Hopkins, Superintendent; Mary Schell, Director of Finance and Human Resources; Debbie Trochuck, District Secretary; District employee Dawn Dwyer; Rachel McGlasson, the Jersey County Journal; John Hefner, Sandy Hefner, Kent White, Marshall Lewis, Cindy Kary, and Jo Test. David and Beverly Crone entered the meeting during the discussion item.
The meeting opened with the Pledge of Allegiance.
A motion was made by Kary, seconded by Perdun to approve the consent agenda as presented:
I. Minutes & Finance
A. Approve Board Minutes
1. Open Session(s)
a. Regular Meeting - June 16, 2016 b. Special Meeting - Public Hearing - June 16, 2016 2. Closed Session(s)
a. Regular Meeting - None b. Special Meeting - None
B. Bookkeeper's Financial Position/Treasurer's Reports
C. Budget Report - June 2016
D. Approve Expenditures - July 2016
II. Personnel Items
A. Accept Resignation(s)
1. Jamie Allen, Educator, West Elementary, effective the end of the 2016-17 school year 2. Kara Snyder, Educator, East Elementary, effective immediately 3. Trey Stille, Educator and Paraprofessional, Grafton Elementary, effective immediately
B. Approve Extra-Curricular Assignment(s)
1. Kelly Adkins, Co-Head JCHS Cheer Coach 2. Chelsea Bohannon, Co-Head JCHS Cheer Coach 3. Volunteer Coaches, effective for the 2016-17 school year
a. Jon Adkins Basketball b. Ben Bishop Football
c. Chris Skinner Football d. Brian Madson Football
C. Approve Leave of Absence
1. Randy Dilks, Medical Leave 2. Daniel Goff, Medical Leave 3. Joe Sanders, Medical Leave
D. Approve Non-Certified Personnel
1. Wilbur Cain, Temporary Bus Driver, effective immediately
E. Approve Temporary Disability Leave - None
F. Employ Certificated Personnel
1. Marti Hansen, Special Education Educator, East Elementary, effective for the 2016-17 school year
On roll call, Kallal, yes; Kary, yes; Perdun, yes; Test, yes. Motion carried.
Board member William Yamnitz entered the meeting.
RECOGNITION OF GUESTS/WELCOME VISITORS/PUBLIC COMMENT John Hefner spoke in opposition to the waiver of tuition for students of district employees discussed at the June 2016 board meeting.
Kent White also spoke in opposition to the waiver of tuition.
BOARD COMMITTEE REPORTS Dr. Hopkins stated there would be a date set for a policy committee meeting.
Enrollment and Suspension and Expulsion Reports None
Principals’ Reports None
Directors’ Reports District Administrator None
Special Education Coordinator None
Director of Finance and Human Resources Mrs. Schell announced that the district would receive an additional $20,000 from the Pre-K grant.
Director of Technology None
Early Childhood Director None
Discussion was held regarding the implementation of the “bring your own device” (BYOD) option for parents and students.
Superintendent Report Dr. Hopkins addressed the board regarding the following:
• Reviewed her philosophy by sharing a video by Dr. Randy Pausch as she begins her 4th year as superintendent and 8th year with the district
• State budget approval
• Disappointment in the newspaper article covering discussion on the waiver held at the June board meeting; her apology to the board; and her appreciation to those who responded positively
• Facilities update
• Appreciation to the many local organizations and businesses for the support they have shown the district, students and staff by way of a new scoreboard at the sports complex, laptop grants, teacher resources, funds to support various programs, summer lunch program and more
• Appreciation and support for law enforcement
1. Grades 6-12 Curriculum Series Adoption
After discussion a motion was made by Kary, seconded by Kallal to approve the following series:
High School Chemistry McGraw Hill Matter and Change High School Economics McGraw Hill Building Citizenship and Economics High School Spanish EMC “Que Chevere!”
On roll call, Kary, yes; Perdun, yes; Test, yes; Yamnitz, yes; Kallal, yes. Motion carried.
2. Intergovernmental Agreements for Transportation
A motion was made by Kary, seconded by Perdun to approve the intergovernmental agreements for transportation services between the district and Calhoun CUSD No. 40 and the district and Gillespie CUSD No. 7 as presented. On roll call, Perdun, yes; Test, yes; Yamnitz, yes; Kallal, yes; Kary, yes. Motion carried.
3. Intergovernmental Agreement for Programs
A motion was made by Kary, seconded by Perdun to approve the intergovernmental agreement for special education services with Southwestern CUSD No. 9 as presented. On roll call, Test, yes; Yamnitz, yes; Kallal, yes; Kary, yes; Perdun, yes. Motion carried.
4. Designation to Pledge or Release Securities
A motion was made by Kary, seconded by Kallal to approve the designation of Dr. Lori Franke-Hopkins, Superintendent; Mrs. Lisa Schuenke, Director of Finance and Human Resources; and Mr. W. Kay Schultz, Treasurer as those authorized to pledge or release securities for Jersey CUSD No. 100 as presented. On roll call, Yamnitz, yes; Kallal, yes; Kary, yes; Perdun, yes; Test, yes. Motion carried.
Discussion was held about the waiver of tuition for students of district employees. The decision of the board is to not pursue the waiver.
OTHER BUSINESS Dr. Hopkins shared that there would be a Meet and Greet at 6:00 prior to the regular board meeting on August 18th so that board members could meet newly hired district employees.
BOARD PRESIDENT’S PREROGATIVE None
CLOSED SESSION A motion was made by Kary, seconded by Kallal to move to closed session. On roll call, Kallal, yes; Kary, yes; Perdun, yes; Test, yes; Yamnitz, yes. Motion carried.
The board moved to closed session at 7:50 P.M.
The board resumed open session at 8:41 P.M.
ACTION AS A RESULT OF CLOSED SESSION None
Mr. Kary expressed his thanks to Mrs. Schell for doing a great job as Director of Finance and Human Resources.
Mr. Test announced that the Dow facility would be placed for sale.
A motion was made by Kallal, seconded by Kary to adjourn. An aye or nay vote was taken with all in favor, none opposed. Motion carried.
The regular meeting of July 21, 2016 adjourned at 8:43 P.M.
Organizations in this Story
100 Lincoln Ave
Jerseyville, IL - 62052