Spoon River Valley Community Unit School District 4 Board met April 10
Spoon River Valley Community Unit School District 4 Board met April 10.
Here is the minutes as provided by the board:
1. Call to Order: The meeting was called to order at 6:01pm.
Pledge of Allegiance: Mr. Tarochione l ed the Pledge of Allegiance.
2. Roll Call: Present: Patricia Eathington Mark Thomas
Lynn Phelps Gary Tompkins
Lance Tarochione Warren Utsinger
Absent: Lisa Quick
Staff: Superintendent K. Scot Reynolds
Jr./Sr High Principal Chris Janssen
Elementary Principal Jody Collier
Director of Maintenance Jack Link
3. Ammendments: None
4. Public Comment: None
Agenda: The consent agenda A-D were approved with the exception of removal of wall murals included in
the summer work list which was tabled. The motion passed 6-0.
A. Approval of Regular and Closed Session Minutes of March 13, 2017 and subcommittee minutes
for March 29, 2017 and April 3, 2017.
B. Approval of Financial Reports
C. Approval of Vendor Bills in the Amount of $48,333.18
D. Approval of Minor Summer Work list items for maintenance department.
A. Lori Bilbrey from Spoon River Academy and John Meixner, ROE #26 discussed “alternative
schools” - what they were , what they are intended for, and how they affect SRV. “Safe School” is
more of a truancy program including expulsion and suspended cases. We need to encourage
legislators to provide a diploma that does not come from Spoon River Valley.
B. The board reviewed the copy machine bid from Tim Lance. The lease payment will actually be
lower. Two big machines will be retained, and the others will be replaced with new. This will be a
three year lease.
C. Mrs. Collier and Mr. Janssen reviewed with the board revisions to the Elementary, Junior/Senior
High, Certified, and Non-Certified handbooks for 2017-2018.
D. The Building and Grounds/Transportation Subcommittee recommended Stephanie Lockhart for
an adult summer worker and Hannah Clark and Kurtis Garnsey for full time summer student help.
Caleb Harrison was recommended for part-time summer student help.
There are several “major” work projects needing discussion:
● The boys bathroom must be renovated due to ongoing plumbing issues, cleanliness, and
ongoing foul odor.
● The West parking lot needs to be sealed to protect investment. Blacktopping the North
lot is not cost effective at this time.
● The board decided we need to simply “clean” and wait and see regarding painting the gym.
● Renovate the library area for students with a relaxing atmosphere. 20” x 20” squares
would be easier to change for spills and sound deadening.
● The countertops and sinks have never been replaced in the Life Skills room. Mrs.
Loveland will be utilizing these with her classes this coming year. A garbage disposal isn’t necessary.
A. Superintendent Reynolds answered questions about his administrative report.
B. Principal Janssen answered questions about his administrative and technology reports.
C. Principal Collier answered questions about her administrative report.
8. Call for Closed Session: The board moved to Closed/Executive session at 9:04 pm following a motion by Mr. Thomas and seconded by Mr. Utsinger to discuss the appointment, employment, compensation, discipline, performance, or dismissal of specific employees of the district. The motion passed 6-0.
Return to Open Session: The Board returned to Open Session at 10:43pm following a motion by Mr. Utsinger and seconded by Mrs. Eathington. The motion passed 6-0.
9. New Business:
A. Approved: A motion was made by Mr. Thomas and seconded by Mrs. Eathington to approve the Certified
handbook for 2017-2018. The motion passed 6-0;
B., C.D., A motion was made by Mr. Utsinger and seconded by Mr. Thomas to approve the Non-certified,
Approved Elementary, and Junior/Senior High handbooks for 2017-2018. The motion passed 6-0;
E. Approved: A motion was made by Mr. Thomas and seconded by Mrs. Phelps to hire Christopher Conlee as
PreK - 12 Dean of Students. The motion passed 6-0;
F. Approved: A motion was made by Mr. Thomas and seconded by Mr. Utsinger to hire Katherine Hamilton as
a Speech Language Pathologist for 2017-2018. The motion passed 6-0;
G. Approved:: A motion was made by Mr. Thomas and seconded by Mr. Tompkins to approve the 2017-2018
administrative team salaries. The motion passed 6-0;
H. Approved: A motion was made by Mr. Tompkins and seconded by Mr. Thomas to approve May 22, 2017 as
Middle School Promotion Night. The motion passed 6-0;
I. Approved: A motion was made by Mrs. Eathington and seconded by Mr. Thomas to approve the following
major summer projects: Sealing the West parking lot per bids, remodel grade school restroom,
flooring for computer lab, renovate life skills room, and thorough gym cleaning (possible
replacement of material). The motion passed 6-0;
J. Approved:: A motion was made by Mrs. Eathington and seconded by Mr. Utsinger to approve hiring
Stephanie Lockhart, Hannah Clark,Kurtis Garnsey and Caleb Harrison for temporary summer work. The
motion passed 6-0 and;
K. Tabled : A motion was made by Mr. Utsinger to table initial posting of board policies: 2:100, 3:70, 4:15,
4:15-AP, 4:60-AP4, 4:60-AP4-E1, 4:130-E, 4:180, 4:180-AP1, 4:180-AP2, 5:70, 5:80,
5:110, 5:120, 5:130-AP, 5:140, 5:210, 5:220-E, 5:230, 5:270-E, 5:285, 5:285-AP, 5:300,
5:320, 6:70, 6:70-AP, 6:185, 7:100, 7:190-E2. The motion passed 6-0.
10. Adjournment: The board adjourned at 11:00 PM following a motion by Mr. Thomas.
1. Thank you, Phil Brown (Class of 1953), for your donation of golf balls to the district.
2. On behalf of the entire Spoon River Valley Community condolences to the Bridson family on the passing of their wife and mother Tammy on March 22nd. She will be missed by everyone in the Spoon River Valley Community.
3. Congratulations to Jody Collier and her staff on an outstanding Title I night on March 23rd. Attendance by parents and staff was the best it has been in a number of years! A good time was had by all.
4. Important: Board Reorganization Meeting Tuesday, May 2nd @ 6 PM. IMPORTANT: Board member attendance is highly recommended.
5. Congratulations to the WYSE team that finished 2nd in the Sectional which occurred at Knox College! Madeline
Harrison finished 1st in Math, James Neiheisel finished 1st in Physics. Caleb Harrison finished 1st in Engineering Graphics and 3rd in Chemistry. Nicholas Olson finished 3rd in Physics. A 2nd place trophy will be awarded and the team advances to state competition at the University of Illinois. Way to go!
6. Congratulations to Logan Davies for being selected to go to Washington DC with Mid-Century.
Organizations in this Story
35265 N IL Route 97
London Mills, IL - 61544
35265 N IL Route 97
London Mills, IL - 61544