Brighton Memorial Library trustees review financial report
The Brighton Memorial Library District Board of Trustees met Oct. 13 to review the financial report.
Here are the meeting's agenda, as provided by the board:
Brighton Memorial Library District Board of Trustees Minutes from October 13, 2016
Roll Call & Pledge: The meeting was called to order at 6:32 P.M. by Board President Carolyn Kelly at the Brighton Memorial Library District. Board members present were Meridel Buscher, Elizabeth Harper, Sheila Wilkie. Shannon Mary and Brooke Seymour was absent. Library Director Susan Townzen was also present.
Recognition of visitors: About 20 visitors were present, including FOTL President Erin Martin. Webb Cunningham asked for the same deal as before; Donna Watson asked about what debt the annexed property could be responsible for; Tommy Ruyle asked if the board had more than one lawyer; J. Watson asked how many out-of-town residents were paying the fee before the annexation; Erin Martin explained what the FOTL does.
Approval of Minutes: A motion to approve the September 8, 2016 minutes was made by Meridel Buscher and seconded by Elizabeth Harper.
• The September 2016 Library Financial Report was reviewed and discussed. We have received two checks from Jersey County Clerk and that will be all. We will receive checks from Macoupin County in October, November, and possibly December. Sheila mentioned that the wages paid out seemed low. This would be due to being without a director for that period. Meridel asked about the Computer Maintenance line. This amount was due to having three computers updated. A motion to approve the report was made by Meridel Buscher and seconded by Elizabeth Harper. Roll Call: Buscher: yes; Harper: yes; Kelly: yes; Mary: absent; Seymour: absent; Wilkie: yes.
• The September 2016 Expense Report was reviewed. Sheila mentioned that this is the last bill paid to the village for utilities. We will now be billed directly and we are set up to pay online. A motion to approve bills in the amount of $18,490.60 was made by Elizabeth Harper and seconded by Meridel Buscher. Roll Call: Buscher: yes; Harper: yes; Kelly: yes; Mary: absent; Seymour: absent; Wilkie: yes.
• Some of the numbers are low, possibly due to the library being short staffed and unable to record information.
• There are no numbers for website visits. Will check with Bruno to make sure he has the correct email address to send the report.
• Susan has agreed to become a notary.
• Three staff members (including Susan) went to circulation training.
• Susan has a volunteer to help go through the VHS tapes to purge them, as well as items that haven't been checked out in three years.
• Sally requested a staff meeting with Susan.
• A motion to accept the Librarian’s Report was made by Sheila Wilkie and seconded by Meridel Buscher. Roll Call: Buscher: yes; Harper: yes; Kelly: yes; Mary: absent; Seymour: absent; Wilkie: yes.
Correspondence: Received a resignation from Board Trustee Amy Taul due to her moving out of the area.
Friends of the Library Group: Erin Martin was present and passed out flyers announcing an Open House to deal with questions about the Library and ILHS. Members of ILHS will be present. The meeting is Wednesday, October 26 from 6-8 p.m. at the library.
• Trustee Election -- A couple people have come in to take out a petition for election. Will go over duties for Susan necessary when people turn in petitions in December.
• Fact Sheet -- Nothing new.
• Survey -- With a view of disconnection, will limit the survey to the village and township. Also, will utilize email and Facebook.
• Teen Room -- Table.
• Library Director Contract and Responsibilities -- The health reimbursement will be on a separate check.
• Copy Machine -- Repairman said machine is over seven years old and getting hard to repair. Will look into a new copier; but cannot purchase until after 1/2017.
• Credit Card -- Need to transfer card to Susan, but have not received application from CNB. Sheila will check on Friday. Also, the fee for checks on QB is being charged to the credit card. Sheila will be gone for a week; will need more petty cash, but Carolyn is authorized to sign a check if needed.
• Comptroller's Report -- Find out when this needs to be completed.
• Notary -- Susan has agreed to be a notary. Will find out the process to achieve this.
• Trunk or Treat for the lower elementary classes will be held at Brighton North, October 22 from 4-5 p.m. The Library will have a trunk present. Extra prizes will be donated by the FOTL.
Executive Session: A motion to open executive session to discuss lawsuit was made by Sheila Wilkie and seconded by Elizabeth Harper. Roll Call: Buscher: yes; Harper: yes; Kelly: yes; Mary: absent; Seymour: absent; Wilkie: yes. A motion to close executive session was made by Sheila Wilkie and seconded by Meridel Buscher . Roll Call: Buscher: yes; Harper: yes; Kelly: yes; Mary: absent; Seymour: absent; Wilkie: yes.
Recap: All Members present identified tasks they were committed to complete.
Date/Time of Next Meeting: Next meeting will be November 10, 2016, 6:30 p.m.
Adjournment: Motion made at 8:23 p.m.by Elizabeth Harper. Respectfully submitted by: Elizabeth Harper, Secretary