Waverly Community Unit School District 6 Board met March 14.
Waverly Community Unit School District 6 Board met May 14.
Here is the minutes provided by the Board:
1. The Board of Education of Community School District #6, Morgan, Sangamon and Macoupin Counties, Illinois met for the Regular Session at Waverly High School.
Board President Joe Sutera called the Regular meeting to order at 7 p.m. and the Pledge of Allegiance was recited.
2. Upon roll being called, the following members were present: Valerie Duewer, Mike Keeton, Nick Nelson, Steve Ruholl, Corey Stewart, Joe Sutera and Gail Turner.
3. Valerie Duewer moved, Steve Ruholl seconded to adopt the agenda. Roll Call: All ayes.
1. Introduction of teachers and Board members.
2. Opportunity of visitors to address the School Board concerning any agenda topic other than personnel.
● Abby Dodd and Connie Cody. This is Abby’s first year teaching at Waverly and her 4th year teaching. Connie Cody is her mentor. Abby’s been implementing a new computer game in her classroom called Prodigy. The students compete against each other in math games. The kids really seem to enjoy it.
● Kudos to everyone that involved in PI day.
● Kudos to everyone that was involved with STEM night.
● The Key Club members were here to report on their leadership training. The club also won various awards.
● Mrs. Ford and four FCCLA members are wanting to attend a workshop in Springfield. These workshops teach skills and leadership training. It is an overnight trip. The board requests they come back and share what they’ve learned.
● The Jr High track team has about 60 athletes out for track. High School has around 41 athletes out for track.
● There are 16 Bass Team members. Only 2 players per boat and they have secured 4 boats.
4. Committee Meetings
● Four Rivers-Valerie Duewer attended the meeting and they discussed adding on to their building. It will add on a gym, 4 classrooms and a bathroom. It will take about 2 years to complete.
● No other committees met.
5. Approval of Minutes of Previous Meeting
1. Gail Turner moved, Corey Stewart seconded to approve the minutes for the Regular Board Meeting of February 14, 2018. Roll Call: All ayes.
2. Steve Ruholl moved, Nick Nelson seconded to approve the minutes for the Special Board Meeting of March 5, 2018. Roll Call: All ayes.
6. Authorization of Payment of Bills
1. Valerie Duewer moved, Corey Stewart seconded to approve the DDistrict’s Accounts Payable and the School Activity AccountsPayable. Roll Call: All ayes.
7. Approval of Treasurer’s Report
1. Mike Keeton moved, Steve Ruholl seconded to approve the Monthly Financial Report and the Monthly Accounts Report. Roll Call: All ayes.
8. Superintendent Report
1. Dustin Day
● The board needs to approve the curriculum books.
● Freshmen orientation is Thursday night, March 15th. Discussed having a 6th to 7th grade night as that is a big step with moving classes for students.
● Discussed bus bids.
● Option A was chosen for next year’s school year. Teachers will be here on August 16th, with students coming on August 20th. School planning to be done by May 22nd.
2. Tammy Hermes
● Playground committee met, the representative came and looked at the drawings. There will be different activities trying to include things for all students. This hopefully will be installed over the summer.
● The office staff has been working on a time tracking system.
● PI day and family reading night went very well.
● The Art show is on March 21st.
● The Kindness campaign has been going well. They had a book give away and ended the week with watching the movie “Wonder”. The teachers did a great job with this project.
● Kudos to Mark Talbert who scored his 1000th point during the basketball season and was also selected and played in the All-Star Tournament game.
● Good job to the 7th and 8th grade volleyball team on a good season.
10. Executive Session
1. Valerie Duewer moved, Corey Stewart seconded to enter into executive session at 7:48 p.m.to discuss the appointment, employment, compensation, discipline, performance, or dismissal of specific employees of the public body or legal counsel for the public body, including hearing testimony on a complaint lodged against an employee of the public body or against legal counsel for the public body to determine its validity. Roll Call: All ayes.
2. Mike Keeton moved, Nick Nelson seconded to return to open session at 8:53 p.m. Roll Call: All ayes.
11. New Business
1. Steve Ruholl moved, Mike Keeton seconded to approve the contract extension(4 years) for Superintendent-JH/HS Principal Dustin Day. Roll Call: Ayes-Keeton, Nelson, Ruholl. Stewart, Sutera and Turner. Nayes-Duewer.
2. Corey Stewart moved, Valerie Duewer seconded to approve the contract extension(3 years) for Elementary Principal Tammy Hermes. Roll Call: All ayes.
3. Steve Ruholl moved, Nick Nelson seconded to approve to accept the bid for a white 14 passenger bus from Central State Bus Sales for $57,620.00. Roll Call: All ayes.
4. Steve Ruholl moved, Mike Keeton seconded to approve and adoption of a resolution dismissing a fourth-year probationary teacher and the issuance of notice with reasons for the dismissal. Roll Call: AyesKeeton, Nelson, Ruholl, Sutera and Turner. Nayes-Duewer and Stewart.
5. Gail Turner moved, Nick Nelson seconded to recognize and approve the resignation of Bonnie Reynolds. Roll Call: All ayes.
6. Corey Stewart moved, Valerie Duewer seconded to approve the FCCLA overnight trip. Roll Call: All ayes.
7. Gail Turner moved, Nick Nelson seconded to approve the course descriptions/curriculum for the 2018-2019 school year. Roll Call: All ayes.
1. Next Regular Board Meeting is April 11, 2018 at 7 p.m.
2. Mike Keeton moved, Corey Stewart seconded to adjourn the meeting at 9:02 p.m. Roll Call: All ayes.