Greenfield school board reviews health plans
The Greenfield Community Unit School District No. 10 Board of Education met Aug. 23 to review health insurance plan options.
The seven members of the school board have broad authority to adopt and enforce all necessary policies for the management and government of the public schools in the district.
Here are the meeting's minutes, as provided by the district:
THE MINUTES OF THE BOARD OF EDUCATION OF
GREENFIELD COMMUNITY UNIT SCHOOL DISTRICT NO. 10
August 23, 2016
The Board of Education of Greenfield Community Unit School District No. 10 met in
special session, in the Administrative Office, on August 23, 2016.
1. President Russ Bishop called the regular meeting to order at 5:00 p.m. Upon roll call the following Board members were present: Josh Roberts, Chris Goode, Rodney Knittel, Brandi Rynders and Russ Bishop. Chris Weller entered the meeting at 5:05 p.m. Also present were Superintendent Kevin Bowman and Becky McClelland.
2. Knittel motioned and Rynders seconded to approve the agenda as presented. Upon roll call Rynders, Goode, Knittel, Roberts and Bishop voted “Aye”. Motioned carried.
3. Knittel reported on an Insurance committee meeting held on August 19, 2016. Members of the committee include Julie George, Rose Parker, Debra Royer and Beth Burrow. Cornerstone Insurance Group representative, Kari Unterbrink, presented insurance options with Health Alliance, Blue Cross/Blue Shield and United Healthcare. The insurance committee is recommending two Blue Cross/Blue Shield plans. The individual PPO plan premium is $466.72 per month and is over the $450 Greenfield Education Association bargaining agreement limit.
The second plan is a high-deductible plan that is under the $450 limit at $439.55 per month.
Superintendent Bowman commented that the Board could do a one-time memo of understanding and pay the full amount of $466.72 per employee per month without opening the union contract.
Knittel commented that the committee was adamant that they wanted to offer Blue Cross/Blue Shield even though there was an option with United Health Care that was under the $450 limit.
Board members discussed pros and cons of the situation and reached consensus to honor the Greenfield Education Association bargaining agreement and pay a maximum of $450 per month for individual employee PPO insurance plan and $439.55 per month for the high-deductible plan.
4. Opportunity for Citizens to Speak—none
5. Knittel made a motion to approve the recommendation from the Insurance Committee for a Blue/Cross/Blue Shield individual PPO plan for $466.72 per month and a High Deductible Plan for $439.55 per month. Weller seconded the motion. Upon roll call Weller, Rynders,
Knittel, Roberts, Goode and Bishop voted “Aye”. Motion carried. (See Exhibit No. 1 attached to the Official Minutes)
6. Weller motioned and Rynders seconded to adjourn the meeting at 5:28 p.m.
Russell S. Bishop
Joshua R. Roberts
1. Meeting called to order
2. Agenda approved
3. Insurance Proposal
4. Opportunity for Citizens to Speak
5. Motioned to approve Insurance Plan