City of Pekin Traffic Safety Committee met December 1.
City of Pekin Traffic Safety Committee met Dec. 1.
Here is the agenda provided by the Committee:
PRESENT: Kurt Nelson, Don Baxter, Mike Guerra, Bob Henderson, Sarah Newcomb, Bob Shaw
Also present: Will Taylor
The meeting was called to order at 8:30 a.m.
Motion by Mike to approve the agenda, seconded by Bob H. All in favor.
Motion by Sarah to approve the October 6, 2017 meeting minutes, seconded by Don. All in favor.
1. No Parking Request Washington St. between Court St. and S. 10th St. Present at the meeting for this item; Gary and Nancy Haller and John Neumann. There was further discussion of this item at this meeting. Don will forward parking concerns to the parking enforcement supervisor, which is through the Inspections Dept. It was noted that any change to parking on Washington St. would have to be approved by City Council. Bob S. stated that he will paint a center line on Washington St. in this area in the spring when the paint machine is back in operation. Kurt stated that until Court St. is controlled by the City, no changes regarding the configuration of the street in this area can be made.
1. No Parking Request – Derby St. from Morton St. to Peoria St. The committee received this request regarding visibility for vehicles coming from these streets onto Derby St. It was noted that parking on all of Derby St. is being addressed through the corridor study. Bob H. made a motion to defer a decision regarding this until the corridor study is complete. Bob S. seconded the motion. All in favor.
2. Crosswalk – Park Avenue at UnityPoint/Pekin Visibility for pedestrians at the loading zone in this location was brought to the attention of the committee by a citizen. After discussion, Mike made a motion to contact UnityPoint/Pekin for consideration to change the location of their loading zone. Bob H. seconded the motion. All in favor.
3. Crosswalk – Derby @ S. 14th St. A concern was brought to the committee regarding this crosswalk and vehicles not stopping when pedestrians are waiting to cross the street. Will reported that he regularly monitors this area. Bob S. stated that this crosswalk will be painted in the spring for better visibility.
4. ``Parking Restriction – Buena Vista and S. 6th St. (Washington School) There was a request from the principal at Washington School asking for the parking restriction be changed from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. After discussion, Don made a motion to leave this area as is. Bob H. seconded the motion. All in favor.
Around the Table
Mike noted that another traffic count will be done to reevaluate the intersection of Park Ave. and S. 14th St.
Bob S. reported that the paint machine has been winterized. Painting will resume in the spring.