Jacksonville SD No. 117 Board discusses waiver to allow children of non-resident employees to attend school in the district
Jacksonville School District No. 117 Board of Education met Tuesday, Nov. 15.
The Jacksonville District No. 117 Board of Education meets at 7 p.m. on the third Wednesday of each month
Here are the minutes as provided by Jacksonville School District No. 117:
Jacksonville School District 117 Board of Education Regular November 15, 2016
The Board of Education of Jacksonville School District 117 met in Regular Session on Tuesday, November 15, 2016, beginning at 6:45 PM at the Jacksonville High School. Members present at roll call were Mrs. Ryan, Mr. Beard, Mr. Cantrell, Mr. Lonergan, Mrs. Maul, and Ms. Wagner. Also in attendance were Superintendent, Steve Ptacek, Assistant Superintendent, Dana Kinley, Director of Curriculum and Instruction, Sarah Raynor and Chief Financial Officer, Jamie Hadjan.
PUBLIC HEARING - 6:45PM - Public Hearing to receive public comment on a proposed waiver application of School Code 105 ILCS 5/10-20.12a. Tuition Waiver. Mr. Beard called the public hearing to order at 6:45pm. Mr. Beard explained the reason for the hearing is to notify the public and receive public comment on the District’s Application for Waiver or Modification of State Board Rules and/or School Code Mandates. Mr. Beard explained that the District desires to allow its full time employees who do not reside in the District to register their children for attendance in District 117 schools, tuition free. The waiver will benefit our employees and help alleviate the shortage of qualified employees for the District.
There were representatives from local radio and newspaper present as well as administrators from JHS and Turner Junior High. Several audience members were present including student athletes who were there to be recognized for their teams’ achievements this season.
Mr. Beard asked for any public comment. There were no public comments, questions or written communications to the Board regarding the application for waiver, the hearing was adjourned at 6:49pm.
• Mr. Beard thanked Cheryl Ballard for her service to the Board and presented her with a gift of appreciation for her nearly 8 years of service.
• Welcome Jan Ryan!
• Recognition of Athletes
o Ryan Kaufmann placed in the top 25 golfers in the state o JHS Volleyball Players, Regional Champs o JHS Boys Soccer – First ever team to play at the state level. 4th Place winners. o Steven Albers, broke several records during his soccer career at JHS
• Sherri McLaughlin received High School Counselor of the Year - Honorable Mention
RECEPTION OF VISITORS, PETITIONS AND COMMUNICATIONS – Sherri McLaughlin thanked the Board for acknowledgement of her achievement and reported that she is the past-president of the Illinois High School Counselor Association.
APPROVAL OF AGENDA – Mr. Beard asked that the topics of School Board Vacancy and Continuation of Franklin Boundary be added to the Reports. Mr. Cantrell moved, seconded by Mr. Lonergan to approve the Agenda as amended. Roll: Cantrell, Lonergan, Maul, Wagner, Ryan and Beard. Nay; None.
ANNOUNCEMENTS - UPCOMING EVENTS
• November 17-20 - Triple I Conference
• November 30 - 1/2 Day Student Attendance - 1/2 Day SIP
• December 7 - Board's Holiday Reception for Staff - 3:45 - 5:00 - JHS Media Center
Board of Education 2 November 15, 2016 Regular STANDING REPORTS
• Enrollment Report – Total enrollment as of October 31, 2016, is 3405.
• Financial/Treasurer's Report – Total expenditures this year are 38.37% and we have received 50% of our expected receipts for the year.
• F.O.I.A. Report – Two F.O.I.A. requests were processed since the last meeting.
• State Updates – Mr. Ptacek reported that Governor Rauner wants to have a meeting with democrats. Rauner said he is open to a tax increase. He will not stop attacking the unions.
• Vision 117 Report – Mr. Ptacek reported on the progress at JMS. He said the flooring, windows and bathrooms in the 6th grade wing look beautiful. The lockers are installed and the ceiling in the gym has been painted.
• Policy Manual Update (Press Plus) – Mr. Beard reported that the committee has not met since the last board meeting. The draft policy has been completed and a meeting will be held on December 1, 2016.
• State Report Card – Sarah Raynor demonstrated how the State Report Card website works. She suggested that board members take time to look at the data for our district. She said to “drill down” into the data because the snapshots don’t show how our students are really doing. She advised that there is always room for improvement and administration will be focusing on two areas of improvement:
o Increase the percentage of college ready students o Provide ACT/SAT practice and prep At the elementary level, the focus will be to increase the percentage of students who meet/exceed on standardized tests. The 7th grade teachers are piloting two curricula for English/Language Arts. There is a need to provide consistency with writing and to provide support for students who are struggling in math. Mrs. Raynor said the monthly school improvement days allow collaboration and review of assessments.
• Tentative Tax Levy – Mrs. Hadjan presented the data for the tentative tax levy: This year we wish to levy an increase of 5.00%. This increase does not require a Truth-in- Taxation Hearing to be held.
Estimated Equalized Assessed Valuation (EAV) for 2016
2015 EAV 389,803,882
Estimated EAV decrease 1,147,434 (-0.29436187%) Estimated 2016 EAV 388,656,448 Estimated New Construction 1,937,010 Estimated Total EAV for 2016 390,593,458
Tax Cap Limitations
Tax Extensions for 2015 Tax Year 18,728,965 CPI.70% (Lessor of 5% or CPI) 0.007 131,103 Est. Maximum Tax Extension for 2016 Tax Year 18,860,068 Limiting Rate X Est. New Construction 93,995 Estimated Total Max Extension for 2016 18,954,063
2016 Tax Levy Request (5% Increase over 2015) 19,665,411
Mr. Ptacek explained that because we are in a tax-capped district, we always balloon our levy up to the maximum 5% knowing we will only receive the lesser amount.
• School Board Vacancy – Mr. Beard reported that the vacancy will be advertised this week with a deadline for applications at the end of the day Monday, November 28, 2016. The board members agreed to review applications and interview any new applicants on December 1, 2016 at 5:00pm. The meeting will be at Central Office.
CLOSED SESSION – Mr. Cantrell moved, seconded by Ms. Wagner to adjourn to Closed Session at 8:03pm for the purposes of:
• Student disciplinary cases. 5 ILCS 120/2(c)(9).
• The appointment, employment, compensation, discipline, performance, or dismissal of specific employees of the District or legal counsel for the District. 5 ILCS 120/2(c)(1), as amended by P.A. 93-0057.
• Collective negotiating matters between the public body and its employees or their representatives, or deliberations concerning salary schedules for one or more classes of employees. 5 ILCS 120/2(c)(2).
• Litigation, when an action against, affecting or on behalf of the particular District has been filed and is pending before a court or administrative tribunal, or when the district finds that an action is probable or imminent, in which case the basis for the finding shall be recorded and entered into the closed meeting minutes. 5 ILCS 120/2(c)(11). Roll: Cantrell, Wagner, Maul, Lonergan, Ryan and Beard. Nay; None.
RETURN TO OPEN SESSION – Mr. Lonergan moved, seconded by Ms. Wagner to return to Open Session at 8:45pm. Roll: Lonergan, Wagner, Maul, Cantrell, Ryan and Beard. Nay; None.
CONSENT AGENDA – Mrs. Maul moved, seconded by Mr. Lonergan to approve the Consent Agenda Items as presented:
• Treasurer's Reports
• Approval of Previous Minutes
o October 19, 2016 Committee o October 19, 2016 Regular o October 26, 2016 Special
• Authorization to Destroy Certain Verbatim Minutes
o July 2015 Roll: Maul, Lonergan, Wagner, Ryan, Cantrell, and Beard. Nay; None.
Student Discipline – Mrs. Maul moved, seconded by Mr. Lonergan to uphold the recommendation of the District Hearing Officer and Administration to expel Student #000940 as presented. Roll: Maul, Lonergan, Cantrell, Wagner, Ryan and Beard. Nay; None.
Personnel Recommendations – Mr. Cantrell moved, seconded by Ms. Wagner to approve the personnel recommendations as presented:
• Danielle Long, Co-Cheerleading Coach at JHS, effective November 7, 2016. Employment-Classified
• Courtney Cogswell, Administrative Assistant to Curriculum Department, Operations & Maintenance Department, and Human Resources Department, Salary: $14.00 per hour, effective October 27, 2016, contingent upon receipt of required employment documentation.
• Mariah Rohlfing, 1:1 LPN Special Education Paraprofessional at Jacksonville High School,
Board of Education 4 November 15, 2016 Regular Salary: $20.00 per hour, effective November 16, 2016, contingent upon receipt of required employment documentation. Employment-Modifications/Re-Assignments/Promotions/Transfers
• Jody Hammers, Secretary at Lincoln Elementary School promoted to Secretary at Student Services & Special Education, effective October 31, 2016, Salary: $14.00 per hour. Leaves of Absence
• Lisa Sumpter, Food Service worker, requesting family medical leave from November 1, 2016 until February 1, 2017.
• Alex Suhre, 1:1 Special Education Paraprofessional at North Elementary School, requesting approved dock status for medical/maternity leave from October 11, 2016 until November 25, 2016. Roll: Cantrell, Wagner, Ryan, Maul, Lonergan and Beard. Nay; None.
Consideration of Approval of Reassignment of Elementary Deans – Mrs. Maul moved, seconded by Mr. Lonergan to remove this action item from the agenda. Roll: Maul, Lonergan, Ryan, Wagner, Cantrell and Beard. Nay; None.
Consideration of Approval to Submit Application for Waiver of Fees – Mr. Lonergan moved, seconded by Mr. Cantrell that the Board of Education authorize the application for waiver of school code as presented:
The Board hereby declares that:
• Having published a notice on the District 117 website at least 14 days in advance of the hearing,
• Having published a notice in the Jacksonville Journal Courier at least 7 days in advance of the hearing,
• Having notified local elected officials,
• Having established a hearing at a time set aside for the express purpose of receiving public testimony on the waiver application, Do hereby authorize the Superintendent to submit the required documentation for a Tuition Waiver for Non-Resident Pupils as presented. Roll: Lonergan, Cantrell, Ryan, Wagner, Maul and Beard. Nay; None.
Consideration of Concussion Policies – Mr. Lonergan moved, seconded by Ms. Wagner that the Board of Education adopt the revised Concussion Policies as presented:
• 7:305 New Concussion Policy
• 7:305-AP Concussion Safety Act Policy
• 7:305 -E1 Return to Play Protocol
• 7:305-E2 Return to Learn Protocol Roll: Lonergan, Wagner, Maul, Cantrell, Ryan and Beard. Nay; None.
Consideration of Revised Audit Report – Mrs. Maul moved, seconded by Mr. Lonergan to approve the revised financial report of Jacksonville School District 117 for the 2015-2016 fiscal year, prepared by Zumbahlen, Eyth, Surratt, and Flynn, Ltd., as presented. Roll: Maul, Lonergan, Cantrell, Ryan, Wagner and Beard. Nay; None.
Consideration of Resolution abating taxes levied for year 2016 – Mr. Cantrell moved, seconded by Mr. Lonergan to approve the resolution abating the taxes heretofore levied for the year 2016 to pay debt service on the General Obligation School Bonds (Alternate Revenue Source), Series 2015, of School District Number 117, Morgan County and Greene County, Illinois. Roll: Cantrell, Lonergan, Wagner, Ryan, Maul and Beard. Nay; None.
Board of Education 5 November 15, 2016 Regular Consideration of Approval of Tentative Tax Levy 2016 – Mr. Lonergan moved, seconded by Mr. Cantrell to approve the 2016 tentative tax levy as presented. Roll: Lonergan, Cantrell, Maul, Wagner, Ryan and Beard, Nay None.
Consideration of Approval to File Health Life Safety Amendment and to Seek Bids for Summer Projects – Mr. Cantrell moved, seconded by Ms. Wagner to approve the filing of Health Life Safety Amendments and give authorization to Administration to seek bids/proposals for the attached projects to be completed in Summer 2017. Roll: Cantrell, Wagner, Lonergan, Maul, Ryan and Beard. Nay; None.
ADJOURNMENT- Mr. Lonergan moved, seconded by Ms. Wagner to adjourn the meeting at 9:24pm. Roll: Lonergan, Wagner, Maul, Cantrell, Ryan and Beard. Nay; None.
Organizations in this Story
516 Jordan Street
Jacksonville, IL - 62650